This article was republished from WebMD.com
You’re being careful to avoid COVID-19 infection – you’re staying home, washing your hands, and wiping down surfaces. Another way you can protect yourself and your family is to prepare your immune system to fight the virus if you do get infected. Think of it this way – when coronavirus attacks your body, it’s waging a battle against you. If you don’t have your ‘armor’ on, you will likely get wounded. While you are at home, why not start preparing and ‘arming’ your immune system for that attack, if it eventually comes?
Five Ways To Increase Your Immune System
1. Move Your Body. When you exercise, not only do your muscles get stronger, you also prepare your cardiovascular system too. Additionally, running or walking can release the chemicals that give your mood a boost, which can help you mentally as well.
2. Eat Healthy Foods. Add antioxidants and immune boosting foods to your diet. Making it ‘colorful’ with berries, avocados, nuts, carrots and other veggies and fruits will give you a full plate of vitamins and minerals. And don’t forget to add natural vitamin C – oranges are a great source but so are kiwis, red pepper and tomatoes.
3. Sleep. When you’re mostly at home, there is really no reason why you can’t get 7-8 hours of sleep. Sleep helps reboot our systems, and it can help release cytokines, a protein that can help the immune system fight off infections.
4. Spend Time Outdoors. The sun not only gives you Vitamin D, but it can also lift your mood which is good for your body.
5. Decrease Stress. Stress releases hormones that can impair our immune systems. Try to take a few minutes every day to do some deep breathing or meditation. Or listen to some calming music or listen to a podcast about something you enjoy. And turn off the news – it can contribute to anxiety, especially with all that’s going on.
And make sure you socialize. Relationships are so important, and physical distancing does not have to mean emotional distancing. Reach out via Facetime, Skype, or Zoom to friends and family – see their faces and talk to them.
Have a virtual happy hour with your friends. Enjoy a glass of wine and catch up. You will feel much better about the isolation and will be happy when your call is finished.It is a tough time in our lives, and we need to draw on all the resources available to us to get us through. So, take good care of yourself – put your ‘armor’ on – and follow the guidelines for physical distancing, and we’ll get to other side of this together. At Pacific Eye & Ear Specialists, we employ thorough evaluation and treatment regimes. Call our office today for an appointment with our top Los Angeles ENT physicians and Audiologists. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at (310) 477-5558.